Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"Two Kisses"

I've recently finished reading "Two Kisses for Maddy," a book about a man, Matt, whose wife, Liz, died of a pulmonary embolism the day after giving birth to their daughter.  She never even got to hold their daughter, Madeleine, who was born 7 weeks early and spent her first day of life in the NICU.  I first learned of Matt (and Maddy) about two and a half years ago and began reading his blog: http://www.mattlogelin.com/.  Because I lost my own mother at a very young age, I was drawn to this bittersweet story of a heartbroken man loving and learning how to raise his beautiful daughter during the darkest period of his life.  I was amazed that he had the strength to go on.  Two and a half years ago, I could not imagine anything as utterly devastating as what he went through.  Now, I can.

Some may think it probably wasn't "healthy" for me to read such a book.  Well, I have been reading the blog for so long that I already know the story and have already shed many tears on their account.  I know that, despite it all, Matt and Maddy are thriving.  I read the book in hopes that I could draw some similarities in our experiences, that I could find strength in Matt's courage and make it my own.  In fact, I'm re-reading the book to highlight the passages that really struck home.  I will write about some of them in a series here.

There are two things I should warn you about before you continue reading:  1. do not read Matt's blog unless you are prepared to bawl your eyes out---it is VERY depressing (hee, hee, like mine's not...) and 2.  Matt swears A LOT.  He is especially fond of "fuck."  So, in the spirit of Matt Logelin, I will be following suit.  Do not read the "Two Kisses" posts if your delicate fucking senses can't handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment