A year ago, today, my world was turned upside down. I walked into the NICU as I had for the previous week, ready for morning rounds, holding babies, changing diapers, and all the other duties that make being a parent of a NICU baby (two babies) as normal as possible. She was different right away, crying this pitiful cry when I changed her diaper and picked her up. She only quieted after settling into my arms, mewing again every time I shifted her. I learned quickly not to shift her. I mentioned to several nurses, nurse practitioners, residents, and doctors that she seemed "off," only to be told that everything was fine because her monitors, her labs, her breathing, and her pee and poo diapers all showed that she was physically well. Until that afternoon when she wasn't. A nurse noticed that her coloring was off...
The doctors assure me that it wouldn't have changed the outcome, but I will always wonder if I had insisted on them checking her out sooner, would we have caught it in time to have made a difference?
No comments:
Post a Comment